Friday, September 20, 2013

Week 10 Cupcakes - Homemade Funfetti

Funfetti Cupcakes are one of J's favorite types of cupcakes so I thought what would be better than doing it from scratch?  Plus, since I can't decorate I'm a sucker for seasonal sprinkles and the Tornado is OBSESSED with Halloween right now.  So I figured this would be perfect.


1. Source: 52 Kitchen Adventures Blog - I've followed this blog for awhile but I'm not sure how much I've really cooked from it.  I'll have to pay attention in the future.
2. Ease of Recipe (1 being cake mix/canned icing - 5 tons of steps and very time consuming): 2 - just a plain cake and a simple buttercream

3. Changes Made: I had run out of cream for the frosting so I used a half quantity of milk instead.

4. Problems:  No problems, this is a pretty straight forward recipe with simple clear instructions.

5.  Overall Impression:  One thing that had escaped my notice until I was actually in the process of baking was this called for 2 teaspoons of lemon zest.  While the flavor was a pleasant lemon-y cake it really wasn't what I was looking for in these particular cupcakes.  The frosting was a bit sweet so I would probably use a little less sugar next time.  The cake texture is nice and light without being dry and the frosting holds it shape well.  They look really cute with Halloween sprinkles on top and mixed in but once again the lemon flavor really wasn't what I was going for.

6. Quantity:  20

7. Make Again?:  Probably not but I will definitely spend more time looking at the other recipes on the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment