I was excited to try this recipe for the Cream Cheese Cookie Dough Frosting. I love cookie dough, I love cream cheese frosting - what could go wrong? Add that to the fact that is supposedly a copy-cat recipe from a Sweet Tooth Fairy Cupcakes and I was really excited. I've seen her on Cupcake Wars at least twice and her product always looks amazing. Also, I made a copycat white chocolate frosting from her last year and it was amazing. I really dislike white chocolate - usually if a recipe calls for white chocolate chips that's either an automatic no or at best a substitution. That being said I still dream about that frosting.
1. Source: Chef-in-Training - one of my favorite and most reliable food blogs.
2. Ease of Recipe (1 being cake mix/canned icing - 5 tons of steps and very time consuming): This recipe was really just for the frosting but I did a chocolate cake from a cake mix that was doctored. All and all it gets a 2. The frosting takes some softening of ingredients and a pretty good bit of mixing.
3. Changes Made: None to the frosting. To the plain devil's food cake mix I replaced the water with milk with a dash of cream and maybe a cup of chocolate chips. I may have also added a teaspoon or so of vanilla.
4. Problems: It was a little over sweet right after I made it but the sugar-y flavor seemed to have mellowed after a little bit in the fridge. Other than that it mixed up exactly as expected.
5. Overall Impression: Frosting is very thick so it doesn't make a super pretty cupcake. I can't even begin to imagine piping this. However this is probably one of the more accurate egg-less cookie dough I've made. Very very good!
6. Quantity: As usual I got 20 cupcakes out of a cake mix based batter. Only had enough frosting to really ice 18 cupcakes.
7. Make Again?: Yes absolutely!