1. Source: Dollhouse Bake Shoppe website. You can also order products from their site. They seem to have a lot of cupcake kits which look very intriguing.
2. Ease of Recipe (1 being cake mix/canned icing - 5 tons of steps and very time consuming): 2. Cake could just be hand mixed and the icing was a quick run with a hand mixer.
3. Changes Made: Not really a change but the recipes calls for 1/4t maple extract OR 1 to 2 T maple syrup. Since Florian Bellanger on Cupcake Wars is very anti-extract I went with the syrup. She also calls for an option 1/2c of add-ins such as chocolate chips, blueberries or bacon. I used semisweet chocolate chips which was good with the cake.
4. Problems: None really except I think the syrup made the frosting way too sweet. I think extract would've been better despite Florian's opinion. I'm going to try one with a bacon garnish to see if the salty bacon tones down the sweetness of the frosting.
5. Overall Impression: These are really good cupcakes. The cake is nice and light and is reminiscent of a thick fluffy pancake. The frosting had the look and feel of whipped butter. Didn't think the frosting recipe made enough for a thick layer of frosting. If I made it again I would probably double the frosting.
6. Quantity: 12
7. Make Again?: Maybe but I would change some things about the frosting to make it less sweet.