Friday, August 23, 2013

Week 6 Cupcake - S'mores Cupcake

So last week I asked J, Emma and Ringo what kind of cupcakes they wanted.  Last week I made J's Copycat Hostess Cupcakes.  This week was Emma's S'mores Cupcakes.  I made a S'mores cupcake during my first 52 Weeks of Cupcakes and honestly I liked that one better.  That one was a chocolate cake with graham cracker frosting and if I remember correctly a marshmallow filling.  The graham cracker frosting was amazing.  These are good too but not quite to the same level.



1. Source: Shugary Sweets - this is a blog I've used quite a bit.  Normally with very good results.

2. Ease of Recipe (1 being cake mix/canned icing - 5 tons of steps and very time consuming): 3.5  The cake is from scratch and there are 2 types of frostings but one was a ganache.  Nothing had tons of ingredients and all 3 recipes went together easily.  Not too much mess on the assembly.

3. Changes Made:  I got lazy and tried to microwave the cream to make the ganache.  Also I didn't have graham crackers so I topped it with Duff Decorating S'mores Sprinkles which actually worked out pretty well.  They provided the crunch and the graham cracker flavor.

4. Problems:  Probably entirely my fault but the ganache just didn't come together.  I can't judge the recipe since I didn't actually follow the procedure for making it but my result was basic milk chocolate water.  Tasty but not a ganache.

5.  Overall Impression:  These are good and I really like the texture of the marshmallow frosting.  The multi-layer frosting is a great idea and really gives it a s'more flare.  However, I think I would've preferred if the cake itself was some graham cracker flavored in some way instead of chocolate.

6. Quantity:  18 though I over filled some of the cupcake liners.  Only had enough marshmallow frosting to give a hefty dose to 16.

7. Make Again?:  Yes but mostly to see if I can get the ganache to come out correctly.

No comments:

Post a Comment