So last week I asked J, Emma and Ringo what kind of cupcakes they wanted. Last week I made J's Copycat Hostess Cupcakes. This week was Emma's S'mores Cupcakes. I made a S'mores cupcake during my first 52 Weeks of Cupcakes and honestly I liked that one better. That one was a chocolate cake with graham cracker frosting and if I remember correctly a marshmallow filling. The graham cracker frosting was amazing. These are good too but not quite to the same level.
1. Source: Shugary Sweets - this is a blog I've used quite a bit. Normally with very good results.
2. Ease of Recipe (1 being cake mix/canned icing - 5 tons of steps and very time consuming): 3.5 The cake is from scratch and there are 2 types of frostings but one was a ganache. Nothing had tons of ingredients and all 3 recipes went together easily. Not too much mess on the assembly.
3. Changes Made: I got lazy and tried to microwave the cream to make the ganache. Also I didn't have graham crackers so I topped it with Duff Decorating S'mores Sprinkles which actually worked out pretty well. They provided the crunch and the graham cracker flavor.
4. Problems: Probably entirely my fault but the ganache just didn't come together. I can't judge the recipe since I didn't actually follow the procedure for making it but my result was basic milk chocolate water. Tasty but not a ganache.
5. Overall Impression: These are good and I really like the texture of the marshmallow frosting. The multi-layer frosting is a great idea and really gives it a s'more flare. However, I think I would've preferred if the cake itself was some graham cracker flavored in some way instead of chocolate.
6. Quantity: 18 though I over filled some of the cupcake liners. Only had enough marshmallow frosting to give a hefty dose to 16.
7. Make Again?: Yes but mostly to see if I can get the ganache to come out correctly.