Friday, August 2, 2013

Week 3 Cupcake - Better Than Anything Cupcakes

I've had this in cake form and made it in cake form several times and always enjoyed it so I was really curious to see how it turned out in cupcake form.  The answer - pretty good!


1. Source: Center Cut Cook - a food blog I've never used before but am interested to investigate more.  It was a complicated recipe but her instructions were very clear.

2. Ease of Recipe (1 being cake mix/canned icing - 5 tons of steps and very time consuming): 4.5.  These were kind of a pain.  Pouring the filling in made a huge mess and the frosting was time consuming.  It used a cake mix and the filling didn't have to cooked which is why it didn't get a 5.  Most likely it would be easier if I made it a 2nd time.

3. Changes Made:  Not much.  Only difference is I used cream instead of water in the cake mix and topped it with sprinkles instead of Heath bars because I'm the only one who will eat Heath bars and the last thing I need is to eat a whole bag on my own.

4. Problems:  Filling these made a gigantic sticky mess.  Next time I would put a piece of foil or parchment paper down because it took forever to get the caramel off the counter.

5.  Overall Impression:  These are very good and taste very similar to the cake.  It was the first cooked flour frosting I've ever made and I'm not entirely sold on the texture.  If I make these again I'll probably just top with sweetened whipped cream.  They'd have to be refrigerated but that probably make them taste more like the cake.

6. Quantity:  16

7. Make Again?:  Possibly but they're not first on my list.

Tomorrow I'm hoping to get a little thrift store shopping in!   I'm hoping to find some good stuff and I'll post the list here tomorrow or Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment