Friday, August 16, 2013

Week 5 Cupcake - Copycat Hostess Cupcakes

I asked J, Emma and Ringo what type of cupcakes they wanted and this was J's pick.  It's a copycat Hostess cupcake.  I've eaten a few of these and they're definitely my favorite of the individually wrapped snacks.  There are a few different options for these but this is the one I decided to try out this time.




1. Source:  The Brown Eyed Baker Blog  - I've tried a few of her recipes and always had good luck with them which is one of the reasons I chose this recipe over the other versions.

2. Ease of Recipe (1 being cake mix/canned icing - 5 tons of steps and very time consuming):  Between a 3.5 and a 4.  Everything's made from scratch but the cake and ganache just involved whisking.  The filling was a bit of a sticky mess though.

3. Changes Made:  I used Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa Powder instead of regular.  Also used a tube of frosting for the white swirls instead of making my own buttercream.

4. Problems:  I ran out of ganache halfway through though that was possibly because I was getting some "help" from the Tornado.  The marshmallow filling was difficult to get into the center of the cupcake though I'm sure it'd have been easier if I had used a piping bag like she recommended. 

5.  Overall Impression:  These are very good chocolate cupcakes.  The cake and ganache are very rich and chocolate-y.  The bitterness of the bittersweet chocolate in both balances out the sweet marshmallow filling.  Mine weren't as pretty as hers but I'm sure the would've been if I'd followed the assembly directions better and used piping bags and dipped the cupcakes vs spreading the ganache on top of them.

6. Quantity:  12

7. Make Again?:  Yes definitely.  Even if I didn't want to go to the trouble of the marshmallow filling this would be a good chocolate cupcake base to use with other fillings and frosting.

No comments:

Post a Comment