Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Chef of the Month - September


This month's chef is Bobby Flay.  I've been using 4 cookbooks of his: Bobby Flay's Burgers, Fries and ShakesBold American FoodMesa Grill Cookbook, and Bar Americain Cookbook.  While I love Bobby's food it's not something I turn to everyday.  He uses a lot of beef and the recipes tend to be a little time consuming.  Well except for the hamburgers.  We will be eating a lot of hamburgers this month, at least once a week.  No one is particularly upset about that.  So 1/3 of the way into the month of September this is what I've made so far:


Double Baked Horseradish Potatoes - I adore horseradish and will eat it on most anything.  If I'm at a restaurant and there is an item with a horseradish sauce that's most likely what I'll end up getting.  These were really good and not any more difficult than the usual twice baked potato.  The extra little twist of horseradish makes it stand out.

Crunchburger (aka the Signature Burger) - Bobby knows his way around a hamburger. This was one of the best hamburgers I've ever had.  The potato chips with the burger, cheese and horseradish mayo mustard(there's that horseradish again!) were a delicious combination.  I used a skillet on the stove (oddly enough a Bobby Flay skillet I bought a few months ago) and they came out amazing.

Black Pepper Biscuits - this is basically a regular buttermilk biscuit with black pepper on the top.  These were good but I didn't love them.  The biscuit recipe is okay but not better than my usual go-tos.

Chipotle Brioche - This bread was a little heartbreaking. The flavor is amazing - rich, buttery with a serious spicy kick.  However, I had made it to use to make grilled cheese sandwiches and it just didn't work out.  The bread wouldn't cut into slices without crumbling or breaking.  At first I thought maybe it was too hot but when I tried to slice it the next day it still wouldn't hold its shape.  This was very sad because the bread is very good and somewhat difficult.  This would work as bread with dinner but it does not hold its own as a sandwich.

In the next few weeks I'm planning various hamburgers, a deconstructed Cordon Bleu  and maybe a soup or two.  

No comments:

Post a Comment