J has been obsessed with AMC's Breaking Bad the last few weeks. He managed to get through the 5 seasons on Netflix and then catch up to the finale last night. His intense Breaking Bad schedule has been making him a bit paranoid as he's been watching 3 to 4 hours of it a night but it has been good to see him really enjoy something. So while playing around on Pinterest the other day I came across these cupcakes:
Christie Jordan of Southern Plate to the rescue with her Chocolate Velvet cake recipe from her first cookbook.
So these turned into chocolate cupcakes with chocolate chips and a cream cheese frosting. Topped with Walt's signature blue crystals of course.
1. Source: A mix of Raining Hot Coupons for the inspiration and Southern Plate for the cake recipe I ended up using.
2. Ease of Recipe (1 being cake mix/canned icing - 5 tons of steps and very time consuming): 2. This is a cake mix based cake recipe and the frosting went together very easily.
3. Changes Made: I changed the cake recipe into a cupcake recipe by scooping them into cupcake liners and changing the bake time to 18 minutes. They came out perfectly.
4. Problems: None
5. Overall Impression: This cake worked really great turned into cupcakes. Nice and chocolatey and the frosting was perfect. Tangy and sweet without being over the top on either.
6. Quantity: 16
7. Make Again?: I will definitely make the cupcakes again but I probably won't do the crystals again. They're fun to look at but a little difficult to eat.