Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Ipsy Glambag - September

This was my very first Ipsy Glambag and I'm thrilled with it!  It comes in a bright pink bubble wrap envelope and inside that is a makeup bag filled with your specific samples.  The price is the same as Birchbox and the number of products seems to be about the same.  Ipsy seems to be a bit more focused on just makeup and a bit edgier.  You take a more detailed quiz and are matched with stylists. The website is a little harder to figure out as is their point system.  To be fair, I've messed with it maybe 2 minutes since signing up and haven't read any of the help sections.

The theme for September is Classic Beauty.


My makeup bag is a pretty sapphire blue with a black vaguely floral pattern.  The bag contained:

Freeman Face Brightening Paper Mask (foil packet) - this is completely bizarre.  It's more of a plastic garbage bag texture than paper and didn't really seal to my skin very well.  Apparently the visual for those around you is very reminiscent of Jason in the Friday the 13th movies.  Emma was downstairs when I put this on and she's a bit traumatized by the whole thing.  The experience was not exactly relaxing or spa-like.  The mask was way to big for my face and I had to look up at the ceiling to keep the liquidy stuff inside from dripping all over me and to keep the mask from sliding over my eyes.  Apparantly Freeman thinks I have a very small face because this didn't fit me at all.  To keep the eyeholes actually over my eyes the strip that's supposed to go between your nose and mouth actually covered my mouth.  The end of the chin was about 1/3 of the way down my neck.  I think a clay mask would be way easier and probably less frightening!  As for the results - it didn't break me out or irritate my skin at all but I can't say I saw astounding results.

Freeman Facial Hydrating Paper Mask and Freeman Facial Purifying Paper Mask - I haven't tried these yet but I'm going to assume there will be a similar experience to the one above.

Elizabeth Mott It's So Big Volumizing Mascara- This is a really nice mascara.  It provides good definition without getting clumpy.  I like mascaras that have a little more drama than just a natural look and this does a good job of it.  It came in a good sized travel tube and came at a great time as the mascara I had just started turned out to be awful.

Cailyn Tinted Lip Balm in Big Apple - This was a full sized product and at $19 its value alone is more than double the cost of the entire bag.  My only problem with this product is the name.  This is more of a lip stain than a lip balm but it is not drying at all.  It goes on very precisely with the included brush and its matte finish doesn't make me feel like my face is all mouth.  The staying power is very good though it didn't stay perfectly through a meal.  However, when it faded it faded evenly so I didn't get the no lipstick in the center/hard lipstick line on the edges look which happens frequently.  The color was a really pretty red that works pretty nicely with my skin.  If I was going to buy one product from the bag this would be the product hands down.  It comes in a ton of colors and I wouldn't mind trying a few more of them.

NYX eyeshadow in Charcoal - This was a full size!  While the brand isn't very expensive it is one that crops up all the time on Makeup Dupe lists so I was excited to try it.  In the package it was a dark silvery - grey and I was hestitant to try it for daytime since it looked like such a smokey eye color.  When I finally did though I was very pleasantly surprised. The texture is nice and silky and the color is pigmented enough to be visible but sheer enough that it doesn't look overdone for day.  The staying power isn't super great.  I found it about on par with other drugstore eye shawows but that's easily fixable with a little e.l.f. lock and seal.

Starlooks Kohl Eye Pencil in Obsidian - If this wasn't full size it was awfully close.  This is the kind of pencil you have to sharpen yourself which I normally avoid because I'm lazy.  I've had mixed results with kohl pencils.  Sometimes it works great, other times it smudges to much, has very little staying powder and the point won't hold its shape.  This Starlooks Pencil was one of the good ones.  It went on very smoothly without making a mess.  The staying power is pretty good. It looks the same as it did when I applied after a pretty busy day.

I was thrilled with Ipsy this month and am really looking forward to next month.  It does feel a little younger than Birchbox and the reviews on the website definitely speak to that feeling but that's pretty easily avoided.  For $10 a month this seems like a great deal!

No comments:

Post a Comment