Friday, September 13, 2013

Week 9 Cupcakes - Ultimate Chocolate Plus a Little Thrifting

I did a little thrifting yesterday and had one of the best hauls I've had in awhile.  Everything I tried on after I got home I was in love with!  Such fun!  I got the pair of white jeans that I've been searching for forever and only paid $2 for them.  I also go 2 Talbot shirts - one a brown sweater with elbow sleeves and shiney buttons at the cuff and the other a light purple long sleeve shirt with these pretty little tucks at the collar.  I also got a 3 button 3/4 length brown t-shirt from Gap that fits beautifully, a blue v neck sweater, a dark brown corduroy blazer that's missing its button but that should be easily fixable and a pair of jeans for Emma that are probably miles too long but for $.73 we'll make them work.  So for $15.00 I got 4 shirts, 2 pairs of jeans and 1 jacket.  Then I found the white blazer at H&M that I've been wanting forever was on sale for $20 instead of the $39.95 that it's been.  At Target I found a pair of cute boyfriend white pants on the 70% off rack.  Yesterday was a fantastic day only tempered a little bit by the discovery that when Ringo washes dishes he was under the impression that you only need soap if the food sticks to a particular dish.  I've been trying to avoid thinking about how close we've been to food poisoning as he's rinsed off knives that I've cut meat with and just stuck them back in the block.

Luckily I had these Ultimate Chocolate Cupcakes to keep my mind off of that.  After 3 weeks of cupcakes that I've been disappointed in these are fabulous!



1. Source:  Brown Eyed Baker - this is a pretty tried and true blog for me.  Pretty much everything I've tried has come out amazing.

2. Ease of Recipe (1 being cake mix/canned icing - 5 tons of steps and very time consuming): 3.5.  The cake was from scratch but pretty simple, the ganache involved microwaving and stirring but the frosting did take a little work and the hand mixer.

3. Changes Made:  I used Hershey's Special Dark cocoa vs just regular cocoa.  Also, I used my hand mixer instead of the food processor for the frosting.

4. Problems:  The cake wasn't my absolute favorite.  It was a little dry but its possible I overbaked it a minute or 2

5.  Overall Impression:  These are seriously crazy good and seriously crazy chocolate-y.  This is a dark chocolate cupcake topped a layer of dark chocolate ganache that is then topped with a layer of dark chocolate buttercream.  It's like chocolate overload in the best possible way.

6. Quantity:  12

7. Make Again?:  Yes!

No comments:

Post a Comment