Friday, September 6, 2013

Week 8 Cupcakes - Twix Bars

I have a handful of go-to candy bars.  Snickers if I'm really hungry or not feeling well.  I'm completely convinced that Snickers are good for you.  They show athletes on the commercials so therefore health food.  Reeses cups are another top pick but only if they're the holiday ones.  I can eat Reese's pumpkins, eggs or Christmas trees until I'm ill and not regret it.  But my all time favorite candy bar is the Twix bar.  I like to separate the ingredients (though now that I'm technically a grown up I don't do that in public anymore) and eat the chocolate caramel part and then the cookie part.  So I was thrilled thrilled when I saw these cupcakes made with a shortbread cookie base, chocolate cake and caramel filling and butter cream.




1. Source:  A blog called Cannella Vita - a completely new to me blog.  The pictures and instructions were very good and clear.
2. Ease of Recipe (1 being cake mix/canned icing - 5 tons of steps and very time consuming): 3

3. Changes Made: Less sugar in the frosting then called for.  With half the amount of sugar it was already bordering on too sweet.  I have a feeling the full 4 cups would have made my teeth voluntarily leave my mouth.  I also used the individually wrapped caramels vs a homemade caramel candy.

4. Problems:  Because I didn't put the full amount of sugar the frosting was runny.  J said they looked like gravy cupcakes.  Also, the caramels didn't stay gooey after melting them. Both problems were caused by my changes so I would use a higher quality or homemade caramel candy next time and play with the proportions of the frosting to get a better texture without it being too sweet.

5.  Overall Impression:  Unfortunately I was disappointed with these.  The cookie went soggy instead of giving it a crunch and the caramel just wasn't melt-y stringy caramel.  The overall flavor combination was good and Twix bar like but the it just wasn't as good as I expected.

6. Quantity:  18 

7. Make Again?: No.

No comments:

Post a Comment