Thursday, April 3, 2014

Week 38 Cupcake - Chocolate Cookie Dough

The past few weeks I've been pretty self indulgent with deciding what cupcakes to bake.  My family isn't big on baked goods because they're weird so I was staying with cupcakes that I thought sounded good and maybe a batch of 12.  I decided to be nice and give them another try with this Chocolate Cookie Dough Cupcake.  It's from Your Cup of Cake which is my favorite site for cupcake recipes.  I also have her book which is great too.  I can' think of a single bad cupcake I've made following her recipes.  This one was no exception.



1. Source:  Your Cup of Cake

2. Ease of Recipe (1 being cake mix/canned icing - 5 tons of steps and very time consuming): 2 - this is a doctored cake mix and I didn't even have to get out my hand mixer.  The frosting was a little more complicated but not too bad.

3. Changes Made:  I did make a few changes with the frosting.  She had put a note on the recipe that the proportions may have to adjusted to get the ideal cookie dough texture and taste.  I only used 1 cup of powdered sugar and added an extra tablespoon of brown sugar and about 1/4 teaspoon vanilla.  I also incorporated about 1/3 of a cup of mini chocolate chips into the frosting.  Instead of regular yogurt or sour cream I used Greek yogurt thinned with a little extra milk because that's what I had on hand.

4. Problems:  None

5.  Overall Impression:  The cake is amazing - rich and chocolate-y but still light and fluffy.  It's pretty much everything a chocolate cupcake should be.  I can't imagine a frosting this wouldn't work with.  I loved the buttery-ness of the frosting itself.  She always seems to do a good job of getting the balance of sweet to fat right in her frostings.  I'm just not sure if this is my favorite cookie dough style frosting.  It's really good but I guess I like the ones that mimic the texture of actual cookie dough a little better while this is more of a hybrid dough/frosting.  That being said - it's light, fluffy, silky with a nice amount of sweetness mixed with the brown sugar and vanilla flavorings of cookie dough.

6. Quantity:  24

7. Make Again?:  Yes definitely.  This may be my new standard chocolate cupcake recipe.

2 comments:

  1. Okay that looks and sounds so good. Sounds like it is pretty easy to. How do you not gain 10 lbs with all the cupcakes you make? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're super good! You should make them! The only reason I have gained 10 lbs is because I love cupcakes more than just about anything so I'm willing to cut back so I can eat a cupcake everyday!

      Delete