Thursday, October 31, 2013

Week 16 Cupcakes - Churros

We are in the midst of the Tornado's first Halloween.  Between candy coming from pretty much ever place we go, his school's Halloween party last night and regular Trick or Treating fun we are swimming in chocolate and Skittles.  So obviously we need cupcakes to eat during the endless stream of Halloween TV shows.  

1. Source: The Sweet Chick
2. Ease of Recipe (1 being cake mix/canned icing - 5 tons of steps and very time consuming): 4 it involves a cake and frosting from scratch and a filling.

3. Changes Made:  I didn't have whipping cream so I couldn't make the delicious sounding cinnamon mascarpone frosting she makes so I had to improvise with this vanilla frosting from brown eyed baker.

4. Problems:  None

5.  Overall Impression:  I definitely think the light mascarpone/whipped cream would have been amazing with these.  The cake is nice and the cinnamon topping provides a nice little crunch.  The dulce de leche filling is really good and for once I followed instructions and used a plastic bag to pipe the filling into the cake.  Worked great and once I was done getting all the sticky filling into the cupcakes I just tossed the bag away.  This frosting is definitely one of the best buttercreams I've ever made.  It's only requires 3 ingredients and about 10 minutes of mixing.  To make them a little more Halloween-y I added the eyes and am calling them mummy cupcakes.

6. Quantity:  12

7. Make Again? Yes:

No comments:

Post a Comment