This was Eleanor's last week before she goes to back to school. She's a big fan of red velvet which I also happen to be a fan of. Since everyone else has at best neutral feelings and at worst hostile feelings about them I do try to take advantage of her being here. Otherwise, I make them and eating the entire batch by myself.
1. Source: Southern Plate which was fitting because I just finished up a month of cooking from her recipes.
2. Ease of Recipe (1 being cake mix/canned icing - 5 tons of steps and very time consuming): 2. This isn't from a mix but the cake didn't even require a mixer. There's no filling and the frosting is pretty basic cream cheese.
3. Changes Made: Only the substitutions I made due to what I had on hand. Instead of buttermilk I used a half yogurt/half milk mixture. I also used special dark cocoa powder instead of regular.
4. Problems: None.
5. Overall Impression: This was a nice basic red velvet cupcake with a simple but perfect cream cheese frosting. This isn't the softest moistest cupcake I've ever had but it holds together well and the flavor is just how a red velvet cake should be. They're fairly light so you can talk yourself into eating 2 pretty easily.
6. Quantity: 21
7. Make Again?: Yes definitely!