Thursday, January 2, 2014

Week 25 Cupcakes - Red Velvet with Cream Cheese Frosting

This was Eleanor's last week before she goes to back to school.  She's a big fan of red velvet which I also happen to be a fan of.  Since everyone else has at best neutral feelings and at worst hostile feelings about them I do try to take advantage of her being here.  Otherwise, I make them and eating the entire batch by myself.


1. Source: Southern Plate which was fitting because I just finished up a month of cooking from her recipes.

2. Ease of Recipe (1 being cake mix/canned icing - 5 tons of steps and very time consuming): 2.  This isn't from a mix but the cake didn't even require a mixer.  There's no filling and the frosting is pretty basic cream cheese.

3. Changes Made: Only the substitutions I made due to what I had on hand.  Instead of buttermilk I used a half yogurt/half milk mixture.  I also used special dark cocoa powder instead of regular.

4. Problems:  None.

5.  Overall Impression: This was a nice basic red velvet cupcake with a simple but perfect cream cheese frosting.  This isn't the softest moistest cupcake I've ever had but it holds together well and the flavor is just how a red velvet cake should be.  They're fairly light so you can talk yourself into eating 2 pretty easily.

6. Quantity:  21

7. Make Again?:  Yes definitely!

No comments:

Post a Comment