Thursday, January 16, 2014

Week 27 Cupcakes - Buckeye Cupcakes

Yesterday was one of those days that gets labeled with phrases like "Chicken with its head cut off" and "hamster on the wheel".  In short by the end of the day I felt crazy and exhausted but the list of what I got accomplished was pretty much nothing.  Plus I tried to rename a friend's child "Lily" for reasons known only to my poor chaotic brain.  But the greatest victim was these cupcakes



1. Source:  Sweet Pea's Kitchen - a blog that for some reason I don't follow.  I'm going to have to remedy.

2. Ease of Recipe (1 being cake mix/canned icing - 5 tons of steps and very time consuming): 4.  They're not difficult there are just a lot of stages.  You make the peanut butter ball, you make the cake batter using a double boiler, use make the frosting.

3. Changes Made:  None made on on purpose.

4. Problems:  Here is the tragedy.  The recipe calls for 4 ounces of chopped bittersweet chocolate.  I had a bar of 76% and a bar of 82% and my plan was to do 2 ounces from each bar (the bars were just over 3 ounces each).  Well for whatever reason I ended up chopping up all of the chocolate which was almost double what the recipe called for.  The cakes took longer to bake because of the extra liquid and ended up tasting hard and dense.  What makes this even worse is that I've made this cake before and it's delicious so I know how good these could be.  Also this problem was entirely of my own doing.  If you have a properly functioning brain you should be fine.

5.  Overall Impression:  These are soooooooo good.  The peanut butter frosting makes me forget every positive resolution and change I've ever made.   It's light and airy but still so wonderfully peanut buttery.  The peanut butter ball tastes like what I always want buckeyes to taste like.  A sweet peanut butter with just a hint of vanilla not tooth achingly sweet like they so often are.  Put these in the fluffy chocolatey wonder that the cake is supposed to be and I'd probably eat these until I was ill.  So maybe it was for the best but still...

6. Quantity:  17 though the recipes says 24

7. Make Again?: Yes but next time I'd make them correctly.

No comments:

Post a Comment