Wednesday, January 22, 2014

What's For Lunch Wednesday - Greek - Israeli Couscous Salad

This week I chose Greek-Israeli Couscous Salad from Weelicous Lunches by Catherine McCord.  The recipe can also be found on the Weelicous blog.


Not quite as pretty as last week's lunch but I enjoyed this one so much more.  I've had couscous before but I don't think I've ever had the pearl couscous.  I was seriously missing out because this stuff is delicious.  I had to do some altering because it called for tomatoes and the tomatoes that are available right now are kind of sad.  It is also called for lemon juice and despite the fact that I remember buying a full bag of Meyer lemons there was not a lemon to be found in my house.  To replace the sweetness and the acid I would've gotten from the lemon and tomatoes I substituted Raspberry Enlightenment I had gotten from Penzey's my very favorite spice store.  Tomatoes will be fantastic in this during the summer so I'm definitely looking forward to that.  The couscous is a yummy base for just about any vegetable/fruit/cheese/spice combination you could think of.

The Good: This dish is fairly easy to throw together, makes enough for several meals, reheats well and is nice and filling without being heavy.  I also love how easy it would be to change it up.

The Bad:  The recipe called for olive oil to be added at the end and I didn't love the slight oil feel.  I most likely will cut the oil in half next time I make it.

The Verdict: Love It!  This is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for!  I was actually so looking forward to having this for lunch again today that I decided not to get a fast food biscuit and I love those little balls of grease.

No comments:

Post a Comment