Thursday, January 30, 2014
Week 29 Cupcakes - Glazed Chocolate Muffins
Well I didn't make cupcakes. I made chocolate glazed muffins instead. Probably not the harshest of revenge.
1. Source: Everyday Reading - one of my favorite blogs! Books and food in one place.
2. Ease of Recipe (1 being cake mix/canned icing - 5 tons of steps and very time consuming): 2. Both the muffin and glaze are from scratch but I didn't even have to get out the mixer.
3. Changes Made: In my continuing streak of running out or not being able find essential ingredients I was completely out of milk. I ended up substituting buttermilk in the muffins instead.
4. Problems: Not really a problem but I would've liked a little more glaze. Next time I'll probably double the glaze recipe. Since I regularly run out of frosting this is definitely a me problem.
5. Overall Impression: These are really tasty muffins. The texture and flavor reminded me of a Texas sheet cake I've made a few times. The muffin was dense and lightly chocolate-y. The glaze is rich and smooth. They do a good job of providing a chocolate fix without being too heavy and rich. The finished product is so pretty with the shiny glaze. They'd look nice in a brunch spread and they can do double duty as "not cupcake" cupcakes.
6. Quantity: 12
7. Make Again? Definitely! I'm curious to see how I like them with regular milk instead of buttermilk.