Friday, December 20, 2013

Foodie Friday

Well I actually managed to do some cooking this week!  Even on 2 nights where it was only a couple of people I got an actual meal on the table.  Since I'd really like to cut down on the spending this is pretty major.  J complains when it's a Find Your Own kind of night.  Apparently I always manage to put together something tasty for myself and he ends up with a random combination of food.  Me thinks he's exaggerating a bit though.

Chef of the Month





The Pioneer Woman Cooks: I made her Edna Mae's Sour Cream Pancakes.  This is the weirdest pancake recipe I've ever come across and also one of the best.  It uses mass quantities of sour cream and just a tiny amount of flour and the result is tangy fluffy with just the right amount of sweetness.





The Pioneer Woman Cooks: A Year of Holidays: I adore this cookbook.  I really think this is my favorite of her 3 books.  Last night I made her Spicy Cocktail Weenies (or Little Smokies in my house) even though it ended up being just Ringo, the Tornado and me.  I did a little substituting and used 1/2 tablespoon Sriracha Sauce and 1 1/2 tablespoons plain ketchup.  These were quick, tasty and with just enough kick.



Southern Plate: J and I were taking the Tornado to a little Christmas village that our town does and I needed something quick so that we could be out the door by 6 at the very latest.  Christy Jordan's Chicken Planks came to the rescue.  They're basically just chicken fingers but they're delicious.  You can see a picture of them on the lower right hand corner of the book cover.  Also I never feel bad about eating them even though I pan fry them because they're homemade and not processed but that's probably not the most logical.  Served with her Comeback Sauce these are leaps and bounds better than chicken fingers you'd find anywhere else.

Pinterest Recipes:

I made this Alfredo recipe the other night when I thought it was just going to be Emma, the Tornado and me.  It's pretty basic but good especially considering it takes maybe 3 ingredients and 15 minutes.

Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies from the Recipe Critic - these cookies are amazing.  I haven't made my regular chocolate cookies in awhile because I discovered this recipe.  They're easy and they put other cookies to shame.  I'm fully on the brown butter band wagon, a card carrying member of the brown butter fan club. 

I want to do some baking today but I'm already committed to taking the Tornado to the library and finishing a craft.  I also kind of need to go back to Target.  I heard a rumor that they have stuff I haven't bought yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment