Monday, December 2, 2013

November Wrap Up

With all the holiday madness I didn't get time to review all the Barefoot Contessa food we ate over the last
couple of weeks.  Ina's food covers a broad range of categories from bread to desserts to main dishes to breakfast with a smattering of drinks.

So from her Back to Basics book we had Italian Wedding Soup, Parker's Beef Stew, Buttermilk Cheddar Biscuits, and Herb Marinated Loin of Pork.  Everything but the beef stew was amazing.  I didn't love the beef stew but it could've been because I wasn't able to let it cook the full 2 hours.  The soup and pork loin are definitely going to be revisited.

From Barefoot Contessa at Home we had Chicken Piccata and Maple Baked Beans.  The chicken piccata was amazing - easily restaurant quality.  The beans were good but everyone prefers the one from the can that gets heavily doctored.  Since that one is way easier I think I'll stick with my original bean recipe.

We also had Rori's Potato Chips, Garlic Roasted Potatoes and Apple Crostata from Barefoot Contessa Parties!.   The garlic roasted potatoes were amazing and the apple crostata was a perfect ending for Thanksgiving dinner.  The chips weren't bad but there are better oven baked potato chip recipes.

Also appearing were her Croque Monsieur, Sagaponk Corn Pudding and Penne with 5 Cheeses.  While all 3 of these were good I probably won't make any of these recipes again.

Unlike last month when I was counting the days until I was done with Giada, Ina's food will be missed.  Her recipes are reliable and very clear though not always the easiest.  The only problem I had with her was that I found that some of her baking times were way off but that's easily dealt with.

Next month (well actually this month) I'll be hanging out with 2 cooks who got their start as food bloggers.  The first is Southern Plate's Christy Jordan who has 2 cookbooks and the other is the Pioneer Woman who has 3 books.

No comments:

Post a Comment