Thursday, December 19, 2013

Week 23 Cupcakes - Chocolate with Vanilla Bean Buttercream

So to be honest this was supposed to be a vanilla cake with vanilla bean buttercream. However when I started reading the recipe the other day I discovered the base of the vanilla cake was a white cake mix.  A quick search through the pantries revealed that I was bingo on white cake mixes and I wanted to make the cupcakes that day.  Solution:  go a couple of pages over and use the chocolate cake recipe from the double chocolate cupcake recipe.  Results: Not bad!  The reasons these are green have something to do with the Pinterest pin that the Tornado decided we must do.  All will be revealed on that end on Tuesday.


1. Source:  Your Cup of Cake by Lizzy Early - I fall in love with this book more every time I use it.

2. Ease of Recipe (1 being cake mix/canned icing - 5 tons of steps and very time consuming): 2.  Everything was from scratch but it was pretty simple.

3. Changes Made: I left out the cinnamon from the chocolate cake because last weeks chocolate cake had cinnamon and I wanted something a little different.

4. Problems:  None - seriously I love this book.

5.  Overall Impression:  I'm in love with this frosting.  I made a vanilla bean buttercream and despite a heavy hand with the vanilla bean it still tasted like eating powdered sugar.  This is buttery, vanillay goodness.  The chocolate cake is nice and moist but managed to hold together well.  All in all a really yummy basic cupcake.

6. Quantity:  16

7. Make Again?: Yes definitely!

No comments:

Post a Comment