Today is the Tornado's birthday. I'm having a hard time believing how fast time has flown. He insisted on having an Angry Birds themed party. He's in love with that game even though he's never technically played the game. Since his birthday is so close to Christmas I always try to go over the top with decorations. So today instead of Santas and Christmas ornaments we had Angry Bird stuff everywhere. And I made him cupcakes with Angry Bird candles of course.
1. Source: The cake was from Your Cup of Cake - big surprise I know. The frosting was a standard chocolate buttercream from Cupcakes! from the Cake Mix Doctor
2. Ease of Recipe (1 being cake mix/canned icing - 5 tons of steps and very time consuming): 2. Basic cupcake and basic frosting with no filling.
3. Changes Made: None to the frosting. I had some substitutions made out of desperation in the cake. I substituted a mix of plain yogurt and skim milk for the buttermilk and melted shortening for the vegetable oil.
4. Problems: None
5. Overall Impression: These are good basic cupcakes. The cake was tasty and since it's white you can make it any color you want. The buttercream is chocolate-y and butter-y so it's hard to go wrong there. A great birthday cupcake.
6. Quantity: 16
7. Make Again?:Yes, definitely. Both the cake and the frosting were good separately and they worked well together.